29 February 2012

Davy Jones

DAVY JONES IS DEAD!
Yeah, I'm a little slow on that, but I only just found out while I was working, and that was because Matt decided to shout it out behind me. Ruined my day. I also seemed to be the only one in the office mourning; odd since I'm the youngest, well except for the dog. Then to top it off, he started playing "Daydream Believer" and he didn't even know the lyrics! I'm actually really saddened by his death.
This is rather hypocritical of me, since I don't generally care about celebrities and what happens to them. I think it's because of The Monkees. I love them. I saw them in concert. I have every song they ever released. I loved Davy, although he was not my favourite Monkee, that was/is/always will be Micky Dolenz. I think I understand why this is affecting me more than other celebrities. It's because Davy had a massive heart attack, and didn't just overdose and make a big scene of himself. This is also one of the biggest teen idols of the century, and no on seems to fucking notice! Yeah, Whitney Houston was pretty huge, I personally didn't know much of her work until after she died and I still don't care for it, but she's only been around since the 80s. Davy was from my era (or at least the one I should have lived through), the 60s. A time of peace, love, and groovyness. Not a time of crazy clothes and break dancing. I don't care for the 80s too much. They're too mainstream for me.
But this is a singer who was known around the world for what would have been 50 years in 2015. This is a singer who was the heart-throb of girls around the world for decades, essentially what the teeny-bopper-heart-throbbers have aspired to be (Justin Boobie eat your heart out).
One last thing: celebrities die in 3s? Whitney Houston, Davy Jones...

No comments:

Post a Comment