11 February 2012

On the Swings, and Depressing Musicals

Today I walked from the North end of Central Park all the way to the South end and then back to my apartment, which is roughly 50 blocks away from the park. I walked a lot, and I took a lot of pictures. This was the first time I had my camera out this year, besides filming myself and my BEEF doing a review for contact lenses, and a very poor but entertaining remake of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. On the way back I stopped for Spider Roll sushi, bread pudding, grilled beef dumplings, and a foot-long chicken bacon ranch on flat bread from Subway. That was a lot of food, but I was really hungry.
I walked through the woods with a curious interest in my surroundings, but when I got to the main paths with lots of people, I plugged music into my ears and danced through the park while mouthing the lyrics. I attracted quite a bit of attention, though at first I thought it was the black wig, black jeans, black boots, black shirt, black hoodie, and black jacket with a huge amount of makeup and ginormous false eyelashes.
I finally got to some swings. I love swings. I haven't been on a swing in ages. I spent a good portion of time sitting and swinging higher and higher until I finally flung myself off and flew through the air to continue my walk.
When I returned, I was exhausted. I sat down on my airbed (which takes up about half of my tiny room) to eat my sandwich, sushi, dumplings, and bread pudding along with a coke I grabbed from the fridge to watch Repo! The Genetic Opera.
I will say this much about that movie: I loved it! It was amazingly dark and creepy with a healthy combination of The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. I loved the gory disregard for humanity that ran through the plot of the film, and the rock-n-roll songs that showed of the former Spy Kid's bad side. I'm still singing "21st Century Cure" and "Infected." But while I thoroughly enjoyed this film, I found it so depressing, I have to watch the 1987 Overboard to cheer myself up and get myself to stop singing.
I don't normally like musicals, but some I just can't resist. In no particular order, there are

  • Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show
  • Moulin Rouge
  • A Very Potter Musical
  • A Very Potter Sequel
  • and now Repo! The Genetic Opera
But after watching Repo! I can't help but think that it could be more realistic than it seems (minus everybody constantly breaking into song). All of these stars stay that way because of cosmetic surgery for their appearance, while everyone is told that it is what's on the inside that matters. So it is only logical that sooner or later someone will decide to market that idea and start selling designer organs for those who want to function beautifully as well as look beautiful. Kind of morbid. But I can't see the legal assassins/Repo Men running around, more like nobody being able to afford them except the millionaires and movie stars.





















Yep. This is a world full of superficial human beings who only want the best their money can buy for anything, even a gallbladder.
I also realize these pictures have little to do with my rant...

No comments:

Post a Comment