04 February 2012

My Tourist Thoughts

So in New York you can walk EVERYWHERE. Last night my roommate and I walked about 200 blocks, which she figured to be about 10 miles. I froze, so did she, but we kept walking along the river. That's another thing: I didn't know there were so many parks in the city. For the majority of our trek we walked through a park, then we strolled down some streets to yet another park, this one was the main attraction Central Park, and on the way back we cut through a park not 2 blocks from our apartment. There are so many freaking parks! I come from a little city with 1 major park, but it's just the fact that I am in one of the most famous cities in the world, known for it's city-ness with skyscrapers, subways, and enormous amount of taxis, and there are more parks than I imagined.
Since I ran out of ideas quickly let me just add this: someone in Germany read my blog. Awesome!
That reminds me, well not exactly reminds me, but makes me think of and want to share the enormous amount of time I spent in language classes in high school. Overall I took 2 years of Spanish, 3 years of French, 1 year of Latin, and 1 year of German, to create a grand total of 7 years of languages, but the graduation requirement was only 3...overachiever? I don't think so, I only took Latin because when I was a Junior I was accidentally put in Freshman gym, and some of my friends had Latin 1 at the same time so I switched. Then I just decided that I'd take German because I had taken every other language my school had to offer. So I'm not exactly an overachiever; I just wanted the complete set while it was offered.
Another of my tourist moments was last night while I was walking I saw a building the words "Trump Tower" over the door. Roommate and I were talking about Ireland and castles earlier, so the word "tower" confused me a bit so I looked up. I saw the startling height of the building and found myself tripping over my own feet to see the top. I keep getting caught up when I see tall buildings. Where I'm from, the tallest building around was the high school, though you could always climb to the top of a hill and be taller. Now I finally realize the appeal of skyscrapers. They're impressive heights can have anyone walking in circles, though the New Yorkers can tell who isn't used to seeing them.
Maybe one day I'll get used to this place, I'm only supposed to be here for 2 months though. Funny thing, I used to think I'd end up somewhere in Europe, preferably Ireland where most of my family is, but I think I might come back to New York after I finish film school in Hollywood. but just maybe. I certainly won't miss the cold winter winds I was subject to last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment