13 February 2012

Send Out the New Girl

So I was late to work (again), but I was still the first one there (again). These crazy show biz people thinking they can just come in when they want, but still expect me to be on a timed schedule.
After about an hour and a half of chilling because I really don't have much to do there since I'm not trained enough and the set was an hour 40 minutes away by subway and bus, I was given a task: research a lamp that one of my co-workers had broken on a set a few days ago. So I researched. I didn't have any information other than that it was a Tizio desk lamp, and she gave me the piece that was damaged. No one had any idea what it was, least of all me. I think it looks like this, but I only had one piece that I think goes in the bottom since it had a plug.
I found some lamp repair shops, and a showroom for this brand and gave them to my co-worker. I was told to call them and get no one can really give you an estimate cost over the phone, but I finally got somewhere with the showroom. The representative I spoke with said she had no idea what I was talking about, but the most expensive replacement piece for a Hallogen desk lamp was $150 without any labor, and that a replacement fixture would be $395...which none of us had on hand.
 an estimate. As it turns out, if you don't know what you have, and they don't know what you have, then
Finally some of my co-workers pooled together $200. I have no idea what labor they could have done on giving me a replacement part, except handing it to me and maybe having to search for one if they couldn't find it immediately.
So I went all the way downtown to the showroom. After crossing the same street 4 times, I figured out where I was supposed to go and found the showroom. I stood in line and explained my predicament. The woman behind the counter was polite and said that it was her first day and had no idea what I was talking about and that her manager (whom I had spoken to on the phone a half hour before) was gone and would be back in about an hour. I tried to explain that I only needed a part, but she still had no idea what was going on. So I called my co-worker, who said to explain that this needed to be done as soon as possible, preferably today, and if they couldn't do it now, then I should wait for the manager to come back from lunch...

No comments:

Post a Comment