22 March 2012

Farewell to Horton II

Horton II was my Zune. Yes a Zune. I'm sorry it had to come to this. I do prefer Apple over Windows, mostly because my PC in Virginia (Janet) always decided to download so-called "updates"  that were actually viruses even after I turned the automatic downloads off. Now my laptop right now (Shane) runs Windows 7. I don't hate it, because it's my life now, but it's more of a love-hate relationship. Shane does stupid things for no reason, I have to put up with it, then I found out Shane can do something extremely cool, and I am happy.
Back to Horton II. He was a black Zune, 8 gigabytes, with a cracked screen. I wish my cousin had never sat on him. He was a replacement for my first Zune (Horton) that I got for my fifteenth birthday, which slowly died. I still don't know why. I don't even think Bill Gates would know if he cared enough to see exactly why people stopped buying Zunes himself. The buttons slowly stopped working, one by one. Well there really are only 3 buttons on a Zune, so when the play button stopped working I'd had enough. I got a free replacement, and I think Horton's body has been donated to science. That's what he would have wanted. My replacement was Horton II. He lasted a long time, even with the cracked screen. Today he was lost. I don't know what happened to him. I don't know where he is. All I can think is that he must have fallen out of my coat pocket when I was walking between Saks, Bergdorf Goodman, and Barneys in the 80 degrees we had today here in New York. He is somewhere on the streets. He's been on the streets before, twice I saved him from being run over by a taxi. But now he is out there for good. I feel horrible about losing him.
But then I remember that I planned on replacing him anyway. He was old, outdated, and unreliable. I had my eye on an iTouch since the one I want has 3 times the memory Horton had. I had saved my money so that I could buy myself a new mp3 player (specifically an iTouch), and now I have a reason to actually go out and do it. I just have to get off my butt and go to Best Buy where I have a gift card and get myself one.
But then I feel guilty about replacing Horton II so easily. He was great. He was horribly unreliable, but still good. Then I realize that I lost my headphones when I lost him. Those were the only ones I had that I thought would last me since they were the tangle-free headphones that came with my HTC Rhyme. I wonder if I can buy replacements...they were REALLY nice.
So overall I feel bad about losing Horton II. I want a new iTouch, but this recent loss makes me think if I can handle the responsibility of something so delicate? I should never have kids.
Also I saw a man giving away kittens on the street. Very Oliver and Company. I so wanted to take them home with me! Not that I am a crazy-cat-lady, but I just can't stand to see animals without a home. I was the one always bringing home strays. I couldn't go to the pound with my parents to donate something because we always ended up coming home with a new animal. I often saved the things I found. I made my dad pull over so I could get turtles off the road. I saved countless mice from my cats. Once I saved a finch one of my cats had brought into the house. I tried to nurse it back to health. I even named it: Mr. Finch. Yeah I know, very creative I was. He didn't make it sadly. But yeah, I was the rescue squad for homeless animals, and I had to remind myself: "I can't have pets in my apartment. I can't have pets in my apartment. I can't have pets in my apartment." I felt so guilty about leaving them behind.
To end this rant on a happy note: I SAW AMIR FROM JAKE AND AMIR IN BROOKLYN! HE WAS JOGGING! Dan the Van Driver and I were driving out of Brooklyn to go back to the city yet again, and there he crossed the street in front of us. I was a little confused and recognized him, but I was almost sure I had made a mistake. Then Dan the Van Driver said "I think I know that guy. He makes some funny videos on the Internet. I think he works for CollegeHumor." I was extremely happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment