26 June 2012

Magic

Fifteen years ago today, something magical happened. The first book in the Harry Potter series was published. The childhood of my generation was presented in a story that will last for years to come. I want to thank J.K. Rowling, and if I ever meet her I have a lot of questions I would like to ask if I don't burst into tears worshiping the ground upon which she stands. This brilliant woman gave me a childhood, helped me to believe in magic for the rest of my life, and taught me to not have boundaries on my imagination.
Yeah, I'm a huge Potterhead.
J.K. Rowling is a Goddess in her own right, just like everyone else with an imagination. She created a world with people and love and hate and magic and laws that so many people got lost in and became the home of one emotionally homeless girl that waited until midnight at bookstores and cinemas for one more view of home.
Words cannot express how much each of the characters meant to me. I desperately re-read about Sirius's death, hoping for a bit of confusion on my part. I cried out when Cedric was murdered. I cursed at Rowling when Hedwig was killed. My eyes welled at the engraving on Dobby's headstone: "Here lies Dobby, a free elf." I openly cried when Fred died with the ghost of his last laugh etched on his face. Most of all, I sobbed at Snape's memories of him and Lily, and still do.
On a completely related note: I chose today, completely at random to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, and to re-read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's [Philosopher's] Stone. I didn't realize until a little before midnight here that it was the anniversary of what might be the most important day of my life so far.
Thank you J.K. Rowling, for giving me Harry to believe in, Hermione to teach me, Ron to cheer on, Neville to surprise me, Dobby to cry for, Fred and George to laugh with, Draco to pity, Snape to utterly confuse me, Luna to fall in love with, Dumbledore to trust, Ginny to inspire me, Hagrid to love forever, Seamus to remember, dragons and Thestrals for my dreams to fly on, Quidditch to play, Hogwarts to dream about, and most of all yourself for giving me a magical childhood that will never end.

2 comments:

  1. books were pretty short;she should have made more

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not permitted to criticize J.K. Rowling in that harsh manner. I forbid it.
    Her books were not too short. They are wonderful and you had better just deal with it.
    NO COMPLAINING! BE A MAN!

    ReplyDelete