13 June 2012

Leslie's Escape


The next day, Les pulled up in her elderly vehicle. She parked in her usual spot, next to Dick’s car. He was leaning against the passenger door, waiting for her.  He dangled her iPod in front of her by the headphones. She went to grab it, but he raised his hand so it was out of her reach. She jumped, but his hand went higher. That was one of their games. Dick always picked on Les for her height, but it was only play until she climbed up something or him, or attacked him in some way. She got her iPod back.
                Les blazed through the day, waiting for something, anything to happen. Mostly she was waiting for the end. She self-consciously pulled her sleeves down further whenever someone passed her. When she and Dick were together for Lunch and Latin, she bunched her hands into fists and would not release the hems of her sleeves. She couldn’t let him see what she had done again. He didn’t understand; he would only worry.
                Of course he noticed, but he wouldn’t say anything. He would pretend that he didn’t see anything. He knew her signs, and she knew that. Nothing was said between them at lunch or Latin, and Les sped out of the classroom before Dick could rise to his full height out of the seat.
                Once she had made her way to French, Les claimed her seat in the back near the window. She always liked to sit near a window. They provided a means of escape, if she ever needed one. She never had the need, but she liked to think there was always a way out. She sometimes daydreamed about how she would make her daring escape if someone entered the building, she daydreamed about anything and everything, but sometimes she thought too much.
                The sun is bright today. It’s almost as if I can feel the power of the sun in its light. What else could have that power? Is love that powerful? What is love? How would I know what it is? How does anyone?  It really seems like everyone falls in love, but then they fall out of it. I thought it was supposed to last forever. Maybe it doesn’t; maybe I’m just crazy. What’s that over there? Oh, someone just dropped their book. What about Dick? I don’t love him, right? I can’t. He’s my best friend. No, he’s more than that. He’s like a brother, but he’s not. He’s me. Could I love him? I do, but I don’t. He is me, and I don’t even know who I am. I don’t love myself, that’s for sure.
                “Pardon?” a voice pulled Les out of her mental wanderings. A sentence was written on the board, and the teacher stood at the front of the room looking impatiently.
                “Um… La biblioteca dispone di quel libro nella parte posteriore.”
                “That’s probably impressive Spanish Leslie, but this is French class.”
                “Excusez-moi, madame, mais je parlais italien.”
                “Don’t be so smart. I know you’re taking all those classes, but that does not give you an excuse to not pay attention in my class.”
                “I was merely confused. I was distracted.”
                “Are you confused about where the door is?”
                “No, it’s right over there. Why?”
                “Because you are going through to the door, and to the office.”
                “What did I do?”
                “I’ve had enough with your attitude. Leave now?”
                “What did I fucking do?”
                “Just leave.”
                “Merde!” Leslie rose out of her seat, and started to gather her things.
                “Get up now and get out of my class.”
                “I AM STANDING UP!” With that remark, Les, stormed out of the class.
                Going down the hallways, Les made her way in the direction of the principal’s office. At the last minute, Les turned around and strutted toward the math hall. She stopped in front of Mr. Quasar’s class. She looked in the open window in the door. She spotted Dick, and, without hesitation, called out, “Hey, Big Dick!” Not surprisingly, everyone turned around. She shot Dick a smile and hand-heart, before bolting out the faculty exit at the end of the hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment